Monday, March 25, 2013

My Spring Break Adventure

Dog Sledding is a must! It should be on every one's bucket list! 

I recently went to Vail, Colorado and was fortunate enough to go dog sledding with my family. I must say this one of the most exciting things I have ever done. You see and hear the passion in each one of these lovely creatures, while they get ready to head out on this race. They were all jumping around getting very anxious and ready for the run. Richie our musher, said they are born to do this. Alaskan Huskies have to run and exercises daily or they go crazy. Mom and I were so lucky to have Richie as our leader. He has been racing since he was 5, originally from Alaska in a family of dog mushers. He has recently moved to Co to be closer to his son. Richie did his first race at the age of 5, it was a 300 mile race... WOW!!! He has also competed in the Iditarod, which is a 1000 miles race. Richie has a team of 10 dogs, but owns 16. We learned a lot about the races, the teams and his passion for the sport. For him it is a way of life. He hopes one day to get back to Alaska and continue with his racing and we hope him well. Richie was responsible for giving us one of the best days ever, not to mention my beautiful and gracious sister for allowing us this venture. Thank you sis!  I have to throw in this funny quote from my hubby Justin, "If you are not the lead dog, the view never changes". HAHA, so true... 







No comments: